A house full of knowledge,
emotions and traditions!
Museokatu 3, 65100 Vaasa | Tel. +358 6 325 3800
Open Tue–Sun 10–17, Mondays closed.
Admission fees 7/5 €, under 18s free of charge.
FACILITIES OF THE OSTROBOTHNIAN MUSEUM
The work of the Ostrobothnian Museum is carried out at five different addresses in Vaasa.
The Museum building
Marianpuisto Park, Museokatu 3
The museum’s main building is by the Marianpuisto park, at the address Museokatu 3. The building, which was designed by architect Eino Forsman in 1927, was the first building in Vaasa erected solely for museum purposes. In style, the building represents simple neo-classicism. The building houses the museum’s permanent exhibitions on three floors.
The Hedman Floor is on the top floor. This was the home of Karl and Elin Hedman and their antique furniture, works of art and their collection of crafts and design. Karl Hedman also had his doctor’s practice on the same floor for a period of about one year.
“Vaasa 400 – The city tells a story” is one of the permanent exhibitions and is situated on the middle floor. The exhibition is a multi-faceted presentation of the city’s history, all the way from its founding year, 1606, up until the present day.
The Terranova exhibition on the basement floor presents the natural environment of the Kvarken archipelago and the various effects of the land uplift phenomenon. Terranova also functions as an information centre for the Unesco World Heritage Site.
The new modernist exhibition wing, designed by architect Erik Kråkström, was officially opened in 1967. It houses the exhibition hall for temporary exhibitions, as well as the museum shop and café.
The Marianpuisto Park
The Marianpuisto Park, in front of the museum building, is one of the green areas by the sea which were already central features in the first town plan. The museum building, which was designed by architect Eino Forsman, was erected in the park in the 1920s. New plans were drawn for the rest of the park at the same time, but they were not realized during that period.
In 2012, Vaasa succeeded in carrying out a satellite project to Helsinki, in its capacity as the world design capital of the year. The Marianpuisto Park was a part of the project. In the beginning of the year, the old park plans were modernized and in the autumn the builders were set to work. The planning and completion of the museum park project was financed by the city of Vaasa in cooperation with the Swedish Cultural Foundation in Finland.
Hallsten House was built in Old Vaasa by headmaster A.G.J. Hallsten, after the fire in the 1850s. When the city officially moved to its new location, Nikolaistad, in the 1860s, Hallsten had his wooden house moved to Koulukatu 19 (then called Raastuvankatu). In the 1950s the house was relocated once again, this time because of a new construction project. The new address was Pikkukatu 1. The Museum of Ostrobothnia was given access to the house and set up its conservation facilities there. Today, Hallsten House houses a few museum offices.
Vaasa Art Hall
Vaasa Art Hall is also part of the Museum of Ostrobothnia. The art hall is located in the city hall on the bottom floor, where there was a fire station in the past. The impressive city hall, in Renaissance Revival style, was designed by Stockholm architect Magnus Isaeus. The building was completed in 1883.
The art hall mainly holds temporary exhibitions of works by local artists from Vaasa and Ostrobothnia.
The Wasastjerna Palace
In 1999, after the reorganization of the province administration, the museum was granted the use of two floors in the former provincial governor residence on Koulukatu 2. Today the museum administration is based here, as well as the library, archives and some offices. The small palace-like building in neo-gothic style was built by the foundry proprietor of Östermyra iron and gunpowder works, Gustaf August Wasastjerna, grandson of Abraham Falander-Wasastjerna. The architectural drawings were done by Carl Axel Setterberg and the house was completed in 1865.
Wasastjerna sold the house to the state in the 1890s and the building then became the governor’s residence. It functioned as the provincial governor’s residence up until 1998, when the Province of Vaasa ceased to exist. Besides serving as a private home and as governor’s and provincial governor’s residence, the house also functioned as an industrial school and a kindergarten. The house was renovated in 1987, in accordance with the directives of The National Board of Antiquities.
Kauppiaankatu 10, Old Vaasa
Wasastjerna House is situated at Kauppiaankatu 10 in Old Vaasa. The building was turned into a museum in 1952 in conjunction with the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the great fire of Vaasa. Tradesman Abraham Falander, who was ennobled with the name of Wasastjerna, had the house built in the beginning of the 1780s. The construction work was led by the renowned Ostrobothnian foreman and church builder Thomas Rijf. There are interiors from the 18th and 19th centuries in Wasastjerna House, and the museum’s summer café, "Falander’s Cellar", is run in the vaulted cellar of the building.
There are several buildings on the grounds, amongst them the Louko farmhouse, a 17th – 18th century building which was moved from Ylistaro. The storehouse is from Solf and the remaining buildings from New Vaasa. The museum’s impressive collection of richly decorated sleighs and carts can be found in the long outbuilding.
The Nelin-Cronström Art Museum
Rantakatu 15 B
In 1997, the Nelin-Cronström family home, including their furniture and personal belongings, was donated to the museum. The flat had been home to two generations of art collectors. The interest in interior decorating shared by Elin and Alfred Nelin with their daughter and son-in-law, Anne-Marie and Nils-Gustav Cronström, is still apparent in the interior of the home, where time seems to have stood still. The museum is situated at Rantakatu 15B, on the second floor of a neo-classicist multistorey building, designed by Matti Visanti in 1931.
Ostrobothnia’s Historical Museum Association