A house full of knowledge,
emotions and traditions!
Museokatu 3, 65100 Vaasa | Tel. +358 6 325 3800
Open Tue–Sun 10–17, Mondays closed.
Admission fees 7/5 €, under 18s free of charge.
The museum’s conservation work is important for the preservation of the collections. The aim of the conservation work is to prevent the damage or destruction of artefacts which could occur because of their properties or their physical environment. Conservationists take care of the museum’s artefacts by restoring them, by protecting them from various damaging factors, and by arresting or postponing an ongoing process of decay.
The museum’s conservators partake in the exhibition work by examining the condition of items to be exhibited and by conserving them so that they can withstand being moved and being on display. The conservationists are also in charge of ensuring that the exhibition room’s climate is suitable for the objects and that the lighting is not too harsh. The aim is to eliminate all factors in an exhibition which could damage the items on display.
The conservators continually monitor the temperature, moisture levels and lighting in the museum’s storage rooms. They carry out regular checks and monitor levels with the help of various measuring instruments.
The museum aims to minimize the amount of light and ultra-violet radiation in the storage rooms, as well as striving to minimize temperature fluctuations and changes in humidity levels. The collections are monitored regularly and, when necessary, preventive conservation procedures are carried out on the artefacts in order to avoid harmful changes.
Three conservators work at the Ostrobothnian Museum, responsible respectively for art, furniture and textiles. The conservationists’ main task is to keep the collections in good condition, but when required, they also provide consultation and guidelines to other cultural heritage institutions and to the general public.
More information about the conservators’ services can be found on the website at Expert services.
Further information about conservation and ethical rules for professional conservators can be found on the Nordic Conservators’ Association webpage www.konservaattoriliitto.fi.
MUSEUM'S ORIGINAL ENTRANCE HAS BEEN RESTORED
The original entrance of the Ostrobothnian Museum, which consists of sculptured doors made by Emil Wikström and the stone structures around the doors has been cleaned and restored in August 2014. In addition to this the Bear sculpture, made by Matti Visanti in the 1920s, has been moved to its original place on the right side of the stairs. The pictorial motifs of the doors tell about the Ostrobothnian history. The doors are made of bronze and they are patinated. The doors were cleaned on the outside and the patina was fixed. Finally the doors and a cleaned coat of arms above them were covered with wax. The work was lead by conservator Lasse Mattila, who is specialized in sculptures. Also the stone pavement and the stairs were cleaned. This year is both museum´s father Karl Hedman´s and sculptor Emil Wikström´s jubilee year. The restoration was done with the financial help of Karl Hedman Foundation.
THE SECRET OF ARMOUR OPENS UP
The Ostrobothnian Museum´s armour has now been preserved in Helsinki by conservator Lasse Mattila. It became clear that it is a so called Composite Armour, which means that it consists of many different armours. According to the museum´s archives, it is German, bought from England. Carl Oskar Eugen Wolff (1851-1937) has donated the armour to the museum collections in 1920. In research it became obvious that the armour is from the 16th century. It seems that it has been put together in late of the 19th century or early 20th century in England probably just before Eugen Wolff bought it. It is the oldest and the most complete armour in the Finnish museums. You can see it in the Coin Cabinet of the museum.